HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ned Heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 07:51:32 -0500
Apropos the "gourmet" parts of pork (scrapple, souse, pig's feet,head
cheese) to which I referred in earlier posts, I should point out that the
head and the feet are the only bony parts associated with these delicacies.
If one is salting pork muscle meats for sale, and eating the gourmet parts,
one will create exactly the deposit we have reported.

I am not raising these points from the perspective of a new-age, armchair
archaeologist. I have participated in home hog butchering and my father's
uncle was a hog farmer. Being of Pennsylvania Dutch descent, I know about
eating the softer "gourmet" parts of swine.

  _______
. | _ |  | --]   Ned Heite,                ><DARWIN>
. =(O)-----(O)=  Camden, DE 19934           / \  / \
"Baby" Series IIA 88" 2.25L petrol Land Rover
Explore Icelandic wool:  http://www.dmv.com/~iceland---------
Recent research:  http://home.dmv.com/~eheite/index.html ----