HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2007 16:40:43 -0500
Ron,

It's against my upbringing to speak ill of the dead, but it's been accepted
as gospel by most Texas archaeologists for the past couple of decades that
Hibben planted those "Sandia" points (not only at Sandia Cave, but at the
Lucy site, too) and that Sandia does not actually exist as a valid type  ...
long before the article appeared in the New Yorker  in 1995 (see citation at
bottom of list below) ?

Bob Skiles

Agogino, George, 1995a, The Sandia Controversy.
Indian Artifact. vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 38.

Agogino, George, 1995b, Reply to Archaeologist,
Frank Hibben, over Statements He Made Regarding
Vance Haynes and Myself in the Lobo Publication.
Lobo (November 2, 1995), page 4.

Agogino, George, 1997, Letter to the Editor
 concerning W. M. Creighton'n claimed "Sandia
Point", Indian-Artifact Magazine. vol. 16,
no. 1, p. 63.

Haynes, C.  V., Jr., and Agoging, G.  A., 1970,
Radiocarbon dating of Sandia cave, New Mexico.
National Geographic Society research reports,
1961-1962, pp. 121-122. Natl. Geogr. Soc.,
Washington, D.C.

Haynes, C. V., Jr., and Agoging, G. A., 1986,
Geochronology of Sandia Cave. Smithsonian
Contributions to Anthropology. no. 32. Smithsonian
Institution. Washington, DC, United States

Preston, Douglas, 1995, The mystery of Sandia
Cave. The-New-Yorker. vol. 71, pp. 66-72
(June 12, 1995)