HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"(Mike Polk)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 11:45:43 -0400
In a message dated 97-04-18 11:04:52 EDT, [log in to unmask] (William White)
writes:

<< Would be interested in hearing from anyone/everbody who has dealt with
 railroad construction camps, references, ideas, etc.  Particularly rock
 dome "ovens."  Has work been done in California on the SP,LA,&SL line so
 that we can compare information on the differences between the ethnic
 camps?  How about snacking behavior in "company room and board" type
 environments?  TKS.......ww >>

I can't remember exactly where it was published (or if it was a paper given
at the Northwest Anthropological Conference or elsewhere), but Priscilla
Wegers, Curator of the Asian Comparative Collection at the University of
Idaho in Moscow, wrote a paper concerning rock dome structures along the
Union Pacific Railroad in southern Idaho.  It was done in the late 1980s or
early 1990s and, I believe, they were built by Chinese railroad workers.  You
should definitely contact her about this.

Mike Polk
Sagebrush Consultants, L.L.C.
Ogden, Utah