HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tom Wheaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 09:55:04 -0500
The following message concerns the Pennsylvania SHPO situation.  It was given
to Dan Roberts at John Milner Associates by Representative Phyllis Mundy for
distribution to concerned parties on the Internet.  Dan asked me to give it
as wide a distribution as possible.  Please feel free to pass it along to
other individuals and lists that may be interested.  I apologize for
duplicate postings in advance.

Tom Wheaton
Executive Director
ACRA

From: Pennsylvania Rep. Phyllis Mundy

Re: Attached Press Release on Archeological Resources

March 1, 1996

The Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission will no longer be able to
protect the historic archeological resources of the Commonwealth when they
are impacted by residential or industrial development that requires
Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) permits.

Prior to the passage of Act 70 in 1996, developers were required, as a
condition of receiving DEP permits, to either avoid known significant
archeological sites or to bear the costs of archeological surveys and data
recovery. Act 70 shifted the burden to fund archeology on DEP permitted sites
to the PHMC.

Despite commitments, the Governor's 1996-1997 Budget provides no funding to
PHMC to carry out Act 70 duties. See attached press release.

Questions contact: Rep. Phyllis Mundy (717) 783-1614 or
 Michael Cassidy (717) 787-4989

OFFICE OF DEMOCRATIC LEGISLATIVE INFORMATION
PA House of Representatives
G-01 South Office Building
House Box 202229
Harrisburg, PA 17120-2229   FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT: Bill Patton (717) 787-7895

PHMC Lacks Funding to Keep Promise; Sites Will Be Lost

HARRISBURG, March 1 -- Under questioning from Rep. Phyllis Mundy, D-Luzerne,
the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission revealed Thursday that it
is unable to keep its commitment to protect historic archeological resources.

In the past, developers seeking state permits were required to redesign
development to avoid significant archeological sites or pay the cost of
archeological surveys and recovery.

Act 70 of 1995 removed the incentive for developers to avoid sites and
shifted survey costs to the PHMC. Under the new law, developers only are
required to give the commission 90 days to complete archeological work. That
is assuming the commission has funds to do the work.

Glass informed the House Appropriations Committee that there are no new funds
to carry out the commission's new duties. He said that 80 permit applications
have been filled since the new law took effect at the end of January and that
six of those sites have been found to contain significant archeological
resources. Glass further admitted that "some sites will be lost."

"I and many of my colleagues voted for the bill because we were assured by
the commission and the governor's office that the funds would be made
available to protect the information these historic sites hold," said Mundy.
"I withdrew an amendment to the bill based on those commitments.

"As it worked out," Mundy added, "Pennsylvania loses some of its precious
historical heritage. And we are doing this at the same time that we are
trying to promote heritage tourism as an important economic development
strategy."