HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Megan Springate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 1997 00:59:31 -0400
Anita,

I recommend the Monmouth County Historical Association Museum and historic
houses. The Association itself is 100 years old; the Museum itself,
located at 70 Court Street, Freehold, NJ was built in the (if I remember
correctly) 1930s as a museum, but built to resemble the surrounding
residential buildings.

Lots of interesting stuff at the museum itself -- including a brand new
show, based on the contents of a diary, and a display of wedding dresses
through time. They also have a "Discovery Room" for hands on learning.

Associated with the museum are 4 historic structures, located in Monmouth
County, NJ. Costumed interpreters, and some *very* interesting
architecture -- including one building that is structurally half English
half Dutch. Literally divided down the middle.

The folks at the Monmouth County Historical Association are fantastic. And
the area around Freehold is *beautiful*. It wasn't an accident that NJ was
given the nickname of "Garden State"!

Contact info for the MCHA:
web site (if I remember correctly): http://www.monmouth.com/~mcha
Phone: 908-462-1466
Fax: 908-462-8346
They are closed to the public Mondays.

I'll be going from Ontario (where I'm studying) to NJ in January to do my
artifact conservation internship at the MCHA, just in case you were
wondering what my affiliation with the place is!

Cheers,
Megan Springate
Historical Archaeologist