HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"K. Kris Hirst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 09:27:53 -0600
Kevin Bartoy wrote:
>I don't think that we fully recognize the depth of that statement. If we
>look to arguments against pothunting or arguments for public outreach ...
>they are bolstered by the belief that archaeology has an intrinisic worth.
>The more and more that I have thought about it ... and the more and more
>that I think about the "uses and abuses of history" (to steal a nice phrase
>from Nietzsche) ... the less and less I am persuaded by arguments that
>stress the worth, merit, glory, etc. of archaeology. Archaeology ... in
>large part ... remains an antiquated pursuit that has little to offer the
>present ...

I must take exception to this oft-expressed opinion. Off the top of my head
I can think of several major archaeological projects that were (and are)
undeniably of use to the present-day public welfare. The
Erickson/Kolata/Denevan work in Peru and Bolivia, where newly discovered
ancient methods of farming are now being implemented with some success;
Rathje's 30 year Garbology project where information concerning landfills
and discard use have done much to improve understanding--and handling--of
the waste stream; Clyde Snow (and others) gruesome work investigating mass
murders in Chile and Rwanda; Karl Reinhardt's work figuring out reasons for
high rates of diabetes occurrence among the Omaha. These are hardly quaint
antiquarian pursuits.

And secondly, speaking as someone on the front line, as it were, of public
archaeology, let me tell you, the public is very interested in what we do
and say. Something on the order of half a million people subscribe to
Archaeology magazine and Discovering Archaeology and their sisters. High
profile stories in the press this last year have provided evidence of this.
The whole Kennewick debate has become an opportunity to present scientific
understandings of what "race" is to the public; and raised the issues of
public laws protecting rights of both scientists and, dare I say, regular
people. The Miami Stone Circle provoked debate over preservation and
development all over the country. C'mon, think of the opportunities.

Don't tell me, again, how useless archaeology is as a field. Instead, tell
me how many public talks *you* gave in 1999.
Kris Hirst
Office of the State Archaeologist
The University of Iowa
<http://archaeology.about.com>