HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Richard Trammel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 1995 10:09:06 EDT
The Alabama Historical Commission is holding a series of public information
meetings throughout the state concerning a funding crisis for historic and
archaeological parks in our state.  I manage one of these parks, the site of
Alabama's first state capital, Cahawba.  Its a dead town, a historic
archaeological park (although there is a significant prehistoric component). The
park at Cahawba is relatively new and still under development, so adequate
funding is particularly crucial.  I need help in preparing my presentation.

For background information, I need comparative budget information from other
archaeological parks.  I would greatly appreciate a short description of other
archaeological parks including acreages, staffing levels, programming and most
importantly annual operating budgets.  Also any tourism related fiqures would be
useful.

I'm guessing that that the entire list would be interested in this information
since it is here that most taxpayers experience archaeology.  However, if any
park manager does not want to broadcast budget information, I am providing my
email address below.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Linda Derry
Old Cahawba Archaeological Park