HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jack Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 1995 18:12:19 -0700
On Tue, 17 Oct 1995, Robert Cromwell wrote:

>         I have a friend trying to write a paper on settlement patterns in
> the Southwest.  He is trying to compare Mormon town plans (using an
> article by Mark Leone), with town plans displaying a Spanish influence.
> He would like information on the original town plans of Santa Fe, NM, and
> he suspects that it should have conformed to town plans of many Mexican
> towns with Spanish influences. Any bibliographic information relating to
> the settlement of and town planning of Santa Fe would be greatly
> appreciated.  Thank you in advance.
>
> Bob Cromwell
> e-mail: [log in to unmask]

This sounds like a very interesting topic, but thought I would pass on a
cautionary tale in regards to Mormon town plans. I had a graduate student
evaluate the article by Leone and he found a diverse array of
questionable citations and confusions. If you are working on Mormon
concepts I would urge you to rely only on original texts. Good luck.

The towns built in the New World by Spain were largely governed by the
laws of the Indies (articles on the subject were published in 1946 and
1947 by Dan Stanislawski). Marc Simmons published an article that deals
with the subject for New Mexico (Settlement Patterns and Village Plans in
Colonial New Mexico). It appears in David Weber's anthology "New Spain's
Far Northern Frontier." This item contains numerous references to other
articles. Dave Snow has conducted the most compehensive archaeological
work on the evolution of Santa Fe, and gave a paper the year before last
at SHA in Vancouver about dramatic shifts in the settlement's general
location within the modern city at the end of the seventeenth century.
You may find an article by Moorhead on the evolution of the Presidio of
Santa Fe, which is summarized in his 1975 study "The Presidio: Bastion of
the Spanish Borderlands," also of value.

The place of Santa Fe relative to larger issues of urban planning,
remains, to a considerable extent, imperfectly known. While the influence
of various official plans and programs is apparent, a considerable amount
of local planning and simple organic growth is also apparent. Numerous
Latin American cities, located in more important non-frontier areas, seem
to have realized the Spanish concepts more perfectly.

Jack S. Williams
The Center for Spanish Colonial Archaeology
Field Headquarters
Royal Presidio de San Diego, California