HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 07:55:20 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
Bob,

I am enjoying the sputnik anniversary remembrances -- even though my direct memories of the original event are hazy.  I do clearly remember a lot of the aftermath, including many scrambling efforts to teach us youngsters better science so we could catch up.

But alas, the launch of sputnik did not start the Cold War.  That was already going strong in 1957.  There are a lot of Cold War properties older than that, including the former Clarksville Base here at Fort Campbell.  

Richard D. Davis, MA
[Contractor: Colorado State University]
Cultural Resource Program Coordinator
Fort Campbell, KY

phone: 270-798-7437
fax:       270-798-7230

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bob Skiles
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2007 7:40 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Sputnik ... beep ... beep ... beep

I thought it might be of interest to "boomer" archaeologists (born around 1950 or earlier ... there's quite a few of us older guys still around here) who have worked on Cold War military sites and collections (e.g., our archaeology lab at the University of North Texas was formerly a Nike missle base ... our archaeological collections were actually curated in the old missle silos ... we simply drove our vehicles onto the elevators that formerly were used to rise-and-lower the missles to load-and-unload boxes of artifacts at the bottom of the silos) ... the launch of Sputnik was really a significant event in all of our lives, and changed our (your) whole world. 
It's launch marked the beginning of the Cold War. It didn't seem seemly to let the 50th anniversary of such a world-altering event pass un-noted.

> And what does this have to do with archaeology?
>
>
>
> --
> Anita Cohen-Williams
> Organic SEO and Ghost Blogger
> http://www.mysearchguru.com
> Listowner of Histarch
> 

ATOM RSS1 RSS2