HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Davis, Richard D Mr CTR USA IMCOM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 07:55:20 -0500
Bob,

I am enjoying the sputnik anniversary remembrances -- even though my direct memories of the original event are hazy.  I do clearly remember a lot of the aftermath, including many scrambling efforts to teach us youngsters better science so we could catch up.

But alas, the launch of sputnik did not start the Cold War.  That was already going strong in 1957.  There are a lot of Cold War properties older than that, including the former Clarksville Base here at Fort Campbell.

Richard D. Davis, MA
[Contractor: Colorado State University]
Cultural Resource Program Coordinator
Fort Campbell, KY