HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alasdair Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 14:31:50 BST
On Wed, 13 Aug 1997 10:25:47 -0700 Anita Cohen-Williams wrote:

> For those of us who belong to the Society of Historical Archaeology, there
> is currently a heated discussion about joining with SOPA (Society of
> Professional Archaeologists) and SAA (Society for American Archaeology) to
> establish ROPA (Registry of Professional Archaeologists). The proposal is
> contained in the March SHA NEWSLETTER, and the vote will be in December.

<large section snipped>

> I would like to start a discussion on this matter. Anyone who wants to
> should join in (not just SHAers) since the proposal will impact the entire
> archaeological community.
>
> Any takers?

My only concern (and perhaps a selfish one) is how the ROPA proposal will
impact the SHA's non-American members.  While the vast majority of SHA
members are from the USA, a significant minority are not.  I would never be
against any proposal which actively and efficiently sought to improve the
level of professionalism in archaeology.  I am also not in principal against a
modest rise in SHA fees to promote this, whether through ROPA or another
proposal.  I do, however, have qualms about forcing the SHA's non-US
members to pay additional fees to support another, solely US organisation.
Even if ROPA includes Canada (I'm  not entirely clear on this
point), there are still SHA members in Australasia, Europe, Africa, and Latin
America whose benifits from SOPA would appear to be solely moral and ethical
rather than tangible.

Now, I may not be the best person to continue this point.  As some of you know,
I was working in the US until comparatively recently, and I cannot rule out the
possibility that I might work there again, so it may well be that I might gain
some tangible benefit from ROPA in the future.  However, this is hardly an
issue for non-US SHA members who don't hold a Green Card.

What really causes some doubt on my part is that the SHA appears to hold
genuine aspirations to become an international society (as per Henry Miller's
recent newsletter message).  This is commendable.  But I have my doubts as to
how the SHA's international aspirations are compatible with additional dues
caused by affiliation to a US-only organisation.

Despite what I have written above, I have not completely made up my mind
on the vote.  The moral and ethical argument in favour is not without its own
vague appeal.  Nonetheless, I am at this point inclined to vote against - althou
gh
I can still be convinced otherwise if someone can make a strong case in favour
that addresses my concerns

Alasdair Brooks