HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:52:39 -0500
Jane,

I do not wish to sound like a purist. If you are in a situation where
federal laws are no help and bad people lurk beyond the fence and there is zero
budget for security and time is of the essence, then desperate measures need to
be taken. I have seen situations in which backhoes ripped the earth around
trashpits and the contents gently tipped into skiploader buckets for recovery
elsewhere. I have also seen situations where triage was performed in the field
to recover as much as can be recovered from what appears to be the richest
deposits.

However, I do not believe this is appropriate methodology. I would  encourage
that you work out a better procedure with the government agent who  caused
you to be there, the client who is paying, and any local stakeholders who  have
demanded your work. If there is any budget at all, I recommend you rent  those
same steel plates that trenching companies use to allow cars to drive over
their work at night and bring a skiploader out to place them over the features
during the off hours. Believe me, no bottle hunter can lift those plates.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.