HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jay Kotliar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 1995 18:23:08 -0400
On a recent program about the colonias of Texas the reporter showed that they
were bathing and defecating in the same shed.  While this mirrors the
relationship in the modern bathroom with running water, in a sanitary without
running water the practice seems pretty nasty.  I know from tales of my
forefathers who had outhouses, that they did not bathe near the outhouses.
 Any of you historical archaeologists privy (I had to use this pun) to any
knowledge about how common it was to house bathing and defecating in the same
out-building?