HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert Muckle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 2004 12:01:33 -0700
Ron,
I don't have a photo or sketch that I can transmit on-line now, but
maybe next week.
Anyway, the nails would have been above the waterline of the tub. I find
them (about 100 so far) most often still in the metal, and some in both
metal and wood) at was probably the top rim of the tub. The site is in a
forest not easily accessible to the public. Nevertheless, we do get the
occasional visitor who stumbles upon us. A couple of days ago one such
visitor was a second-generation Japanese-Canadian. Upon learning that
the site was a Japanese logging camp, one of her first questions was
'Where's the ofuru?" She went on to describe how it would be ridiculous
to think that there wouldn't be one at the site. She remembers her
father and others building ofuros wherever they went in the early and
mid 20th century, making them out of metal, surrounded by wooden
flooring, with water brought in by metal pipes, and situated within a
building. After hearing this, I immediately started my search and found
the feature I described. I found the tub with a metal detector. An
internet search has confirmed that it is very likely the camp has an
uforu.

I don't have sketches or photos of similar Japanese ofuros. That is what
I was hoping to get by posting to HISTARCH.

Bob

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/11/04 4:47 PM >>>
Bob,

Wouldnt the nails cause the "bath" to leak? I can see soldering or
welding,
but not nailing a tank of that size with the expectation it would hold
water.
On the other hand, I cant see a sauna bath. I think more information is
needed
to propose an interpretation. Do you have photos or sketches of similar
Japanese ofuros?

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.