HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 10:25:47 -0700
For those of us who belong to the Society of Historical Archaeology, there
is currently a heated discussion about joining with SOPA (Society of
Professional Archaeologists) and SAA (Society for American Archaeology) to
establish ROPA (Registry of Professional Archaeologists). The proposal is
contained in the March SHA NEWSLETTER, and the vote will be in December.

Dr. Schuyler has come out against the proposal (in the Newsletter), stating
that it presents a grave threat to the SHA. Bill Lees has an editorial in
the Summer 1997 Newsletter in which he supports the proposal.

If the proposal passes, the start-up cost to the SHA will be around $10,000,
with annual costs of $5,000. There may be adiitional costs as well.

I did not join SOPA, since I felt that the Department of the Interior
standards are much superior to the standards set by SOPA. I will not join
ROPA and have to pay an annual fee to be registered by a group of unknown
people.

I would like to start a discussion on this matter. Anyone who wants to
should join in (not just SHAers) since the proposal will impact the entire
archaeological community.

Any takers?

Anita Cohen-Williams
Listowner of HISTARCH, SUB-ARCH, and SPANBORD
Contributing Editor, Anthropology, Suite101 <http://www.suite101.com>