HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michael Pfeiffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 18:24:14 +0000
 ----------
From: Brian Kenny - MCDOT
Subject: SWA Conference Registration Forms On-Line !
Date: Wednesday, March 06, 1996 10:48AM

TOTEMIC INCREASE RITES FOR INTERNET ARCHAEOLOGY
Toward More Efficient Dissemination of the 'Big Picture' Ideas About
Southwestern Anthropology and Archaeology

A CONFERENCE TO BE HELD ON SATURDAY NOVEMBER 2, 1996
PHOENIX, ARIZONA and WORLD-WIDE ON THE INTERNET

Lately, I've gone to too many meetings called by frightened people whom seem
ready to lower their expectations regarding Anthropology and Archaeology.
 This, all in to response to some perceived slight they are about to suffer
from federal and state political and budget processes.  Enough!  As next
Winter approaches, we're holding a conference that takes a different
approach.

Winter is the time. Time for telling tales about the past.  A time for
honouring ancestors and time for estimating the bounty and the work of the
future...Here's to celebrating Spring. Here's to celebrating totemic
increase and efficiency.

Let's examine Internet archaeology websites and web pages as if they were
archaeological sites on a regional landsape, and, the persons or data
inhabiting these sites as if  they were archaeological cultural groupings.
 How, where and why do these sites and their data cluster in space and time?
 What limitations do these groupings impose upon themselves?  What are their
external constraints? Can we use the metaphor of the Internet as an
archaeological regional landscape, then examine the spatial characteristics,
content, and use of the Internet's artifacts to effectively understand the
cultural behaviors under which we operate as anthropologists and
archaeologists?  Which types of archaeological data on the Internet are most
appropriate?  Which Internet sites (and Institutions) are more succesful in
the long run - those which limit or those which promote increase, access and
efficiency? What implications might such metaphors hold for our work and our
lives in real cultural and physical environments ?

Our conference announcement resides on the Internet at
<http://seamonkey.ed.asu.edu/swa/conference1.html>.

Conference registration and Call for Papers registration forms now are
hot-linked on the main page.  We will be adding a FAQ about the conference,
and new details will appear as November 2nd draws closer.  The conference
will include small workshops on how to become a geek (?),  build webpages,
and more effectively use the Internet in the service of Anthropology and
Archaeology.  You may now register on-line to present a paper or attend.
 Please redistribute and post this announcement.

Brian Kenny