HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Iain Barksdale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 1995 14:15:47 -0400
Amazing, I haven't seen this much historian/archaeologist conflict since
my postgrad at U Glasgow. My program was split between the archaeology
and history depts, and terms like ditch digger/grave robber and
bookworm/romance novelist were thrown about every now and then. I didn't
understand it then, and I don't understand it now. Well, actually I do,
but I'd rather not.

Yes, both disciplines approach that past in different ways. However, both
disciplines are trying to explain the past of humanity. It seems to me
that we are both on the same side, and where the sides come closest is
Historical Archaeology. I have always seen history and archaeology and
complementing each other, rather than conflicting.

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents into all of this.

Iain Barksdale, Adjunct Instructor          Email: [log in to unmask]
Anthropology, Archaeology,             Snail mail: Madisonville CC
Comparative Religion                               2000 College Drive
Madisonville CC, KY                                Madisonville, KY 42431
Henderson CC, KY