HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Rob Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 10:20:22 -0500
Hi Mary,

There seems to be some disagreement on this point.  For example,
Waselkov and Walthall consistently use the term tin-glazed to describe
the French version of these wares--faience.  However, others prefer the
term tin-enameled, noting that the opaque, vitreous surface coating on
these wares is more accurately described as an enamel rather than a
glaze.  Thus, George Avery(editor of the aforementioned volume on French
colonial ceramics) and others working on these ware types down here,
prefer the descriptor "tin-enameled" over tin-glazed.  For example, a
recent MA thesis here at LSU by Jason Emery (2004:41) explicitly notes
that "the descriptor tin enamel, rather than glaze, more accurately
describes the opaque coating, distinguishing it from a transparent or
translucent glaze." I tend to use the two terms interchangeably, but
would welcome the opinion of ceramicists as to which term is more
technically accurate.

Best,

Rob

Rob Mann, Ph.D.