HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jeanne Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2006 14:27:35 -0500
We have been evaluating a site in Anne Arundel County, Maryland which,
according to records, was first constructed in 1820.  Currently the site
consists of a basement constructed of fieldstone and the poured concrete
foundations of later additions.  The structure was occupied through most of
the 20th century and burned in the 1960s.  It was vacant/empty at that time.
  Close interval shovel testing has resulted in the recovery of substantial
quantities of architectural metal (i.e. nails of all types) and little else.

The point being - that we recovered two rusted iron ring-like things with
glass (now melted) insets.  The exterior dimension of the ring is 2 inches.
The interior diameter is 1 3/4 inches.  The extensions for the nails are 1/4
inch.  The wire nails are 2 1/4 inches.  The glass appears to have been aqua
in color and quiet thick.

My first thought is that they are lighting fixtures of some type but I have
never run up on anything like it.  Assistance would be appreciated.  Thank
you in advance.

I have posted a couple of photos at:

http://www.appliedarchaeology.com/page7.html

Jeanne A. Ward, RPA
Applied Archaeology and History Associates, Inc.
Annapolis, MD  21401
(410) 224-3402
FAX (410) 224-3470