Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2017 11:20:13 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (71 lines)
I recall the notion which circulated widely around 50 years ago that 
historical archaeology is a kind of ancestor worship (an idea arising, I 
think, from the work of Harrington and others on English colonial sites.).

ebj

On 6/30/2017 5:49 AM, Schuyler, Robert L wrote:
> P.S. Do not forget those who also define Anthropology as "the science of the obvious."  No idea who came up with that definition.
>
>
> Robert L. Schuyler
> University of Pennsylvania Museum
> 3260 South Street
> Philadelphia, PA l9l04-6324
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Karen Swope <[log in to unmask]>
> Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2017 1:21 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: looking for source for Deetz quote
>
> The quote is from page 1 of:
>
> Deetz, James
> 1991 Introduction: Archaeological Evidence of Sixteenth- and Seventeenth-Century Encounters, pp. 1-9. In Historical Archaeology in Global Perspective, Lisa Falk, editor. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington, D.C.
>
> Exact wording: "Historical archaeology has several definitions. One of the more unfortunate ones--which is certainly not true but which should be mentioned--is that historical archaeology is the most expensive way in the world to learn something we already know. I am afraid that does happen more than it should, but it need not."
>
> Karen K. Swope, Ph.D.
> Principal Investigator, Historical Archaeology
> Statistical Research, Inc.
> 4425 Juan Tabo Blvd. NE, Ste 112
> Albuquerque, NM 87111-2681
> (505)323-8300
> (505)323-8314 FAX
> [log in to unmask]
> Statistical Research, Inc., is a certified woman-owned small business that has provided Cultural Resource Management and Historic Preservation services since 1983.
> This communication is confidential and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If you have received this communication in error, please immediately destroy it and notify the sender by reply e-mail or by telephone (909)335-1896 (call collect).
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Barbara Voss
> Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2017 11:07 AM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: looking for source for Deetz quote
>
> Dear colleagues:
>
> I'm trying to track down the source of a quote often attributed to Jim Deetz -
>
> "Historical archaeology is the most expensive way in the world to learn something we already know."
>
> Wikipedia's Historical Archaeology page attributes this to Deetz 1991:1, but the webpage does not list a Deetz 1991 citation. Wikipedia lists a longer quote than the one I remember:
>
> "Historical archaeology has several definitions. One of the more unfortunate ones -- which is certainly not true... is that historical archaeology is the most expensive way in the world to learn something we already know."
>
> Google failed me, so I'm turning to something better - the HistArch hive-mind. Any leads?
>
> Thanks!
> Barb
>
> -----------------------------------------------
> Barbara L. Voss, Associate Professor
> Department of Anthropology
> 450 Serra Mall, Bldg. 50, Main Quad
> Stanford University
> Stanford CA 94305-2034
> [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
> https://web.stanford.edu/dept/anthropology/cgi-bin/web/?q=node/75