HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ryan Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 2008 08:12:29 -0700
Hello,

Two sources that I might add as useful are:

Carskadden, Jeff and Richard Gartley
1990	Chinas: Hand-Painted Marbles of the Late 19th Century.  McClain Printing Company, Parsons, West Virginia.

Gartley, Richard and Jeff Carskadden
1987	Marbles From an Irish Channel Cistern, New Orleans, Louisiana. In Proceedings of the Symposium on Ohio Valley Urban and Historic Archaeology, Vol. 5, edited by Donald Ball and Philip DiBlasi.  University of Louisville Department of Anthropology, Louisville, Kentucky.

If I remember correctly, both discuss the 19th century marble industry in a general sense (as well as having very useful information on painted 'chinas' in particular).

Ryan Gray
University of Chicago