HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Rich Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 1995 10:36:48 -0500
I am trying to date a double barred silver cross recovered from a possible
early trading post in southern Indiana. Several additional artifacts from
this period were located as well including a 1793 French coin and several
broken clay pipes.

The artifact bears an intricate and symmetrical engraved design that
includes a diamond at each compass point of the cross as well as in the
center of each cross bar. Overall size is approximately 62mm x 38mm.  The
smith's touch mark is located below the lower bar and although badly worn or
not well struck the letters "CA" are evident under 10x glass.  Preliminary
research suggests a Montreal silversmith named Charles Arnoldi who
apparently operated in the Great Lakes region from around 1780 to 1800.

I really need more info on "CA".  Can anyone help?

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
--
Rich Green
Historic Archaeological Research, Inc.