HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jim Finnigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 1995 08:34:37 -0600
We don't generally label artifacts individually, we store them in plastic
bags with printed artifact labels placed inside the bag.  We only lable
individual artifacts if they are being used in displays and/or analysis.
After about 10 years, we have found that labels done with nail polish flake
off and all of the proviencience is lost.  While the plastic may do bad
things to some artifacts(?), at least the artifact and provenience stay
together.  While this solution may sound more expensive than labelling, the
labour savings probably evens the cost out.

Jim Finnigan
Western Heritage Services Inc.
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan