HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
jakob crockett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2007 20:52:05 -0400
Thank you all very much for the flood of on- and off-list references,
suggestions, images, etc. you have provided -- it's fantastic.  I'm
still checking out all the sources given, but even if I'm not able to
identify this particular bottle shape, the context for the bottle has
certainly ballooned!

George: you asked if the bottle might not be machine-made, based on an
apparent off-center circle on the base (Kasey G. tells me your latest
project is the Owens bottle machine).  I've got the bottle sitting
next to me right now, and I keep picking it up and looking at it in
the light -- I don't see any ghost seams, although there is a slight
wiggly line [technical term] extending ~three-quarters of the dia of
the base.  The side-seams end just below the flared-rim.  Question:
were any early bottles produced using a bottle machine finished by
hand?

Thank you all again,
Jake

--