HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Steven De Vore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:20:09 -0600
The Midwest Archeological Center conducted an archeological study of the
Prisoner-of-War Camp at Fort Carson in Colorado Springs in 1995.  The camp
site was being impacted by the placement of military housing over much of
the camp area.  The study was prepared for and funded by the Directorate of
Environmental Compliance and Management, Fort Carson, Cololrado.

Connor, Melissa A., Julie S. Field, and Karin M. Roberts
  1999      Archeological Testing of the World War II Prisoner-of-War Camp
(5EP1211) at Fort Carson, El Paso County, Colorado.  National Park Service,
Lincoln, Nebraska.

Steve
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data.
    (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, "Scandal in Bohemia")

Steven L. DeVore, Archeologist
National Park Service
Midwest Archeological Center
Federal Building, Room 474
100 Centennial Mall North
Lincoln, NE 68508-3873  USA

Phone: (402) 437-5392, ext. 141
Fax: (402) 437-5098
Email: [log in to unmask]
Website: http://www.cr.nps.gov/mwac/

                      Chris Merritt
                      <merrittthehutt@H        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      OTMAIL.COM>              cc:       (bcc: Steve De Vore/MWAC/NPS)
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: WWII home front POW camps
                      HISTORICAL
                      ARCHAEOLOGY

                      01/20/2005 02:34
                      PM MST
                      Please respond to
                      HISTORICAL
                      ARCHAEOLOGY

I'd refer you to Arnold Krammer at Texas A&M's History Department.
Apparently a few years ago, an archaeology graduate student did some
excavations at a POW camp in Texas.  The thesis is also in print and Dr.
Krammer has the ISBN information.  Hope this helps.

Chris Merritt
MS Candidate, Industrial Archaeology
Michigan Technological University
Houghton, MI 49931