HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 10:46:46 EST
-- [ From: Linda Derry * EMC.Ver #2.5.03 ] --

I am interested in finding out any journal articles or books which address 19th
century ferryboats in the southeastern United States.  I would be most appreciat
ive for any help you could provide.

Karl,

I don't know of any books that are specifically about ferryboats, however I have
 copied some newspaper articles from early 19th century papers published in Caha
wba, Alabama (near Selma in the old cotton belt) which mention the ferries opera
ting in that town.  They are most often about the ferry attendant which I am ass
uming was an enslaved laborer.  The stories are usually meant to be amusing and
are mostly about him and his adventures capturing or killing wildlife. (I quess
he had a lot of time on his hands)  I also have some articles about fights and o
ther criminal behavior that took place on the ferry.  If you are interested in t
his time of information, please email me your snail mail address, and I will sen
d them along.

Linda Derry
Old Cahawba Archaeological Park