HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Victor C. Metta" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 13:26:30 +0000
Manipulated bullets are still being used by field troops.  Although totally illegal by today's standards and "the rules of war" I know from personal experience in the Vietnam War that American GI's doctored their cartridges with hash marks (dum-dum) and used them.  Done mostly by rear echelon troops, by my experience, forward line (combat) troops didn't fool with it for fear of retaliation from the enemy if found out, and as one told
me "he didn't always have the time" .