HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dru McPherson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2013 12:41:48 -0700
Hello, my name is Dru McPherson, and I am an undergraduate Anthropology student at the University of Nevada, Reno. I am currently researching for an Honors thesis about a field school excavation in Virginia City, Nevada in which I participated. The site I am focusing on was a mid nineteenth century beer garden.
I have searched through Anthropology/Archaeology databases like JSTOR, AnthroSource, AnthropologyPlus, and historical databases like Academic Search Premier, America History & Life, and others. I have also looked through ProQuest Theses and Dissertations.
Through my searches, I am coming up with nothing relating to beer gardens or outdoor drinking establishments specifically. I have found great information about saloons from that time period, but I would love to include something in my thesis about a beer garden excavation.
Is there anywhere I could look that I have missed? Possibly in the grey literature?
I will list my current bibliography to show which sources I have been able to find and which sources I have found useful thus far.
Thank you so much for your help!
Dru

Brown, Robert L. Saloons of the American West: An Illustrated Chronicle.  Denver: Robert L. 	Brown, 1978.

Dixon, Kelly J. Boomtown Saloons: Archaeology and History in Virginia City. Reno, Nev: University of Nevada Press, 2006. Print.

Dixon, Kelly. "Sidling up to the Archaeology of Western Saloons: Historical Archaeology Takes 	on the Wild of the West." World Archaeology 38.4 (2006):576-85. Print.

Erdoes, Richard. Saloons of the Old West.  New York: Knopf, 1979.

Goldman, Marion S.  Gold Diggers and Silver Miners: Prostitution and Social Life on the Comstock Lode.  Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1981

Henius, Max. Danish Beer & Continental Beer Gardens. New York: United States brewers' Association, 1914. Print.

James, Ronald M.  The Roar and the Silence.  Reno and Las Vegas: University of Nevada Press, 1998.

Moody, Eric N., and Robert A. Nylen.  Brewed in Nevada: A History of the Silver State’s 	Beers and Breweries.  Carson City: Nevada State Museum, 1986.

Moody, Eric N., and Robert A. Nylen.  “The Comstock Brewing Industry.” OAH Newsletter (February 1988): 4-5.

Protz, Roger.  Ultimate Encyclopedia of Beer: The Complete Guide to the World’s Greatest Brews.  London: Carlton Books, 1995.

Ronnenberg, Herman W. Material Culture of Breweries. Walnut Creek, Calif: Left Coast Press, 	2011. Print.

Rothbart, Ron.  “The Ethnic Saloon as a Form of Immigrant Enterprise.” International Migration Review 27, no. 2 (Summer 1993): 332-58.

Smith, Rayond M. Saloons of the Old and New Nevada: Commentaries on the Role and Development of the Nevada Saloon.  Minden, NV: Silver State Print, 1992.

Wilson, Rex.  Bottles on the Western Frontier, Tucson: University of Arizona Press, 1981.

Wright, William [Dan De Quille, pseud.]. The Big Bonanza.  1876.