HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2013 13:44:44 -0600
Apologies for cross posting.carol mcdavid

CALL FOR PAPERS

Call for papers now open for 'Community Archaeology and the University'
session, organised by Sarah Dhanjal and Suzie Thomas, at Nordic TAG,
University of Iceland, Reykjavik, 21-25 April 2013.

Community archaeology has seen a steady growth in interest over the past few
decades, with possibly more interest and involvement in such engagement in
the present time than ever before. Quite often in practice, universities
have taken on the role of investigator, initiator and consultant. Meanwhile,
community archaeology has become subject to numerous academic investigations
into its origins, present state, value and so forth.

Our definitions of community archaeology can vary. Moser et al, Tully,
Moshenska, Moshenska et al, have all posited various models of community
archaeology within research in British academic institutions alone, with
many more voices continuing to add to the discourse further afield as well.

Universities, commercial bodies, and government bodies all contribute to,
and at times can hinder, community archaeology, in many different ways.
However, is the university role unique? As researchers, we are often
outsiders, whether deliberately so or not; how does that affect the way in
which we view community archaeology? Are our models of community archaeology
recognisable on the ground?

Is there room for altruism in university interactions with communities? Or,
do interactions have to lead to appreciable academic outcomes such as
papers, workload scores, intellectual property rights, grants, student
training opportunities, and so on? Can universities ever become involved in
community archaeology simply because it is a 'good thing'? And to what
extent is the practice of community archaeology answerable to the community
itself, when it involves universities?

We invite papers on the issues raised here, exploring the university's
interactions with and in communities, and methods for studying community
archaeology.

 Please send any abstracts to [log in to unmask] *no later than 1
March 2013.*

Further details about the conference at: http://www.nordictag2013.hi.is/#
<http://www.nordictag2013.hi.is/>

 Details about the sessions at:
http://www.nordictag2013.hi.is/#!programme/vstc4=list-of-sessions/vstc3=sess
ions-/-papers

Dr Suzie Thomas, MIfA

Research Associate

Direct Line: +44 (0)141 330 5837

Fax: +44 (0)141 330 4300

The Scottish Centre for Crime and Justice Research,

School of Social and Political Sciences,

University of Glasgow,

Ivy Lodge,

63 Gibson Street,

Glasgow