HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sun, 9 May 2004 22:45:24 -0400
Although not something I have personally inspected in an archaeological
context, arrastre sites are recorded at various places in the Colorado and Mohave
Deserts of California. They were common in the first half of the 19th century,
but replaced by mechanical stamp mills brought in by ship and later rail.
Small-time prospectors still built and used this technique as late as the early
20th century, especially during the Great Depression when anything to bring in
money was better than nothing. I believe some exist in state and county parks,
but just cant quite recall where at the moment. I seem to recall seeing one
while down in Mexico with the San Diego Museum of Man in 1969, but we did not
stop the car to even take a photo.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.