HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dan Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:20:30 -0500
Fried chicken or chicken and dumplin's (and cornbread)were also a Sunday
(after church) meal where I grew up in Middle TN.  One of my most horrific
memories is of my grandmother (b. 1910s and d. 1980s) chasing my blue-dyed
easter chick, now full grown with only blue tips left on a few feathers,
around the yard, catching it, wringing its neck and chopping its head off
before my very eyes.  She kept a special hatchet just for such purpose on
the pumphouse for the well behind the house.  Unfortunately, all of the kids
in my family, cousins, etc. had to go through this whole ordeal annually in
alternating colors (red, green, blue, etc).  You could buy them from vendors
on the side of the road or at grocery and some department stores.  While she
would try to be subtle about it and do it when kids weren't watching, she
was busted quite often and always dried the tears, making up for the killing
by tabling the best chicken to ever pass a tonsil.  I've excavated a few axe
and hatchet heads behind historic houses and thought of that murderous
hatchet::)  We chidren would not go near it.  Incidently, in the 1950s from
her (and my other rural and older female relatives) point of view preparing
store-butchered chicken was considered a luxury because it was considered
expensive.  It was cheaper to raise them for meal-ready-eats and you had the
benefit of fresh eggs.  We always kept some banty hens for little bitty eggs
for the kids. Also interesting, her married surname was Hatchett:)

dan allen
cumberland research group, inc.
www.cumberlandresearch.org