HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2017 13:56:36 -0500
Hello all,

I am organizing a last minute symposium on foodways for SHA 2018. I have
included a draft of an abstract here.  If you have a paper that you think
would be a good fit, please email me off list.

*Many People, Many Plates: Archaeologies of Foodways*
Food is not only nutrition. It is culture and history. Much of the foods
people eat on a regular basis are the direct result of long complex
historical processes.  Archaeology not only provides insight into what
people ate or how they prepared it, it also offers a lens into cross-cultural
interactions and the intersectionality of gender, race, class, and other
axis of difference. Participants in this symposium explore the interactions
between people across time and place to uncover the history in our food and
discuss the ways they use the archaeology of foodways as a tool for public
engagement and social justice.

Thanks, and I look forward to seeing you in NOLA

Jodi

--

Jodi A. Barnes, Ph.D.

Arkansas Archeological Survey