HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"David A. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 1996 17:05:55 -0600
Elliot--

Exactly the idea.  We have a 35mm slide scanner in our lab, but the size of
the film and fiche are the problem.  Masking is a real pain and is very time
consuming.  If only some wunderkind out there could develop an adapter for
speedy and quality reproduction, we'd be in business.

>I am going to take a wild guess that any company capable of "digitizing"
>slides could do this work.  The process of digitizing the slide may or
>may not be of high enough resolution to work, but it's worth a try.
>Microfilm is just fine grain 35 mm film so these companies should be able
>to manage with existing equipment, but finding a holder for the microfiche
>may be a problem.

Photoshop is what I like to use, for certain.

>After digitizing, the images could be stored on a CD and be read by any
>Photo CD compatible software, such as Adobe Photoshop.  There are simple
>image "readers" that are available also and could probably be included on
>the same CD.

Thanks for taking the time to think about it,

David

----
David A. Johnson                        email: [log in to unmask]
Graduate Research Assistant             http://nautarch.tamu.edu

Nautical Archaeology Program            Institute of Nautical Archaeology
Department of Anthropology              P.O. Drawer HG
Texas A&M University                    College Station TX 77841 USA
College Station TX 77843                Phone: 409-862-3080
Phone: 409-845-6354                     Fax: 409-847-9260
Fax: 409-845-6399
-----