HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"L. D Mouer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 10:21:35 -0400
Homer,

I can't answer your questions, but I share them. In excavating a series of
mid-18th-century slave quarters at Curles Plantation in Virginia several
years ago we encountered on that had obviously been a blacksmith's shop.
There was a large rectangular floor pit intruded by a smaller one. Both
contained large quantities of slag and some iron strap and other iron
artifacts. They also contained the sorts of materials we are used to
finding in slave-quarter "root cellars," including ceramics, beads, food
remains, coins, gunflints, etc. The walls of the pit indicated some heat
or burning, so I assumed the pit was near the forge. Like I said, no
answers, just more questions. Perhaps Ned Heite can help out here.

Dan Mouer
http:/www.freedomnet.com/~dmouer/homepage.htm