HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2005 11:20:13 -0500
I want to congratulate the web authors for this wonderful site. I
personally have worked on some of the listed information (Fort
McHenry, Baltimore, MD) and would like to make an appeal here to those
who are in the "business" in the Unites States and particular the
tri-state area of NY/NJ/CT. When the British "acquired" New Amsterdam
they created the two entities New Jersey and New York, which up until
that time had been part of the same "deal" (word describing how logs
are sawn up). I have worked on many jobs for different companies (most
of the usual suspects except for Berger) in the region an was appalled
by the lack of compliance this database represents. Great numbers of
reports should be here for former and present employees to see and
recall, and there not. I have an RPA colleague, with a MS in Public
Archaeology who also suddenly found herself the lead author on
something she knew very little about.

I implore those who have jobs to understand how important these jobs
were to those who worked for you and ask that you make an effort at
least (it seems none has been made) to contribute some minimum of
reports you have worked on so that former employees might, in good
faith, at least feel they contributed, and not feel demeaned by the
lack of information posted they know they helped create.

Years ago in NYC I was under the impression that copies of reports
were also to be available in the NY Public Library system. I don't
think this has happened either. It should be a matter of public record
where public review has been done in my opinion.

George Myers