HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Rand Schultz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 08:13:55 -0400
     excuse if this is a repeat of info I haven't seen in reply to the
     original query, but:  if the coin is marked "CAR ?VS III" and "??IA"
     it is probably not British but rather one of the Spanish Colonies.
     What bothers me though is the 1790 date, as I believe Carolus III
     ended at 1788 and Carolus IV started 1789 (some Carolus IV coins are
     marked Carolus IIII but not until 1792 as I recall... anybody out
     there with a book on Spanish Colonial Coins?)  The "IA" is probably
     "DEI GRATIA"  I am familiar with a number of surface finds primarily
     from S California of Bolivian coins of this date range and I recall
     the 1/2 real piece is about the size of a nickle.  There was a 1/4
     silver real piece but this was quite rare.  Anyway, try to find a coin
     book with photos esp. of the reverse, ?  would it be a crown above
     arms btween pillars ? by chance?  Could be Chile, Peru, Bolivia or
     even Mexico