HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 1995 15:38:57 -0700
One of the difficulties of this discussion may be comments from people at
various stages of their professional lives.  I'm really happy to see the
bibliography that archaeologists are now working out of, and would like
to see more of it.  Most of the archaeologists I work with, however,
don't necessarily have time to keep up with all the latest academic
work.  Some appear to have a good grasp of current intellectual theory;
some don't.  Some historians, who have worked in the field for years,
also may not represent the cutting edge of current historical approaches,
particularly to social and cultural issues.  Some university types have
little grasp of what goes on outside; others are engaged in field or
contract work and
know exactly what kind of work is being done.  Some graduate students
have a lot of theoretical knowledge.  I appreciate all the information
being explored here, and hope that these exchanges will go on.  I also
wish that they were going on on the public history list, because still
more could be gained with more information being shared from that segment
of the community.

Jannelle Warren-Findley
Co-Director, Graduate Program in Public History
Arizona State University