HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jane Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 17:06:22 -0500
Please make this an on-list thread.  I, too, have been wondering what
markets in Europe drove the skin trade in North America.  The little
information I found indicated that people were using leather for clothing
(trousers and such, not just gloves or footware) and such items as
buckets and harness and tack pieces.  Why weren't European animals
sufficient or adequate (quality) for these sorts of things?