HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dan Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:52:29 -0600
In Middle Tennessee a few years ago we studied an early frontier "station"
where the owner had been killed by hostile aboriginals in the 1790s.  During
concurrent historical research we found that one of the items listed on his
will and estate inventory was a set of "Queensware" which we assumed was
represented by the numerous undecorated creamware sherds in the assemblage.
Could  Queensware have been any cream (and later white) colored ware deemed
as such by the Queen and if so was the American adoption of the term later
in the 19th C. the same type marketing scheme early American potters used
when their makers marks appear to imitate British marks?

dan allen
cumberland research group, inc.
and GRA; the Center for Historic Preservation @ MTSU