HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jeremy Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 1995 23:33:10 +0800
Cross posted to SUB-ARCH with the following text
John Younger said
>I have a nifty program submitted by a student a while ago that:
>       1) you draw a profile of the right side of the pot on the screen
>using your mouse (I sketch the profile on tracing paper and tape it to
>the screen and sketch below it)
>        2) enter in one dimension (e.g., height or max. width)
>        3) and voila! it figures out the vase's capacity
>
>Thus I was able to learn that the large pithos (over 1.5 m. tall) from Ano
>Zakro with Linear A WINE 32 could indeed have held as much as 32 Myc units
>of wine (921.6 liters).  Tom Palaima, for instance, has misjudged the
>pot's size (_Archives before Writing_, p. 328) making it 1/6th the size.

There are some really interesting but slightly different options for people
that want to produce archaeological drawings if you have a grey scale
scanner and a computer. Simply put the artefact on a piece of mylar on the
scanner bed (to protect the glass) and scan.
Voila, you have a graphic image in 5 to 10 secs that would have taken an
expert at least an hour, moi about 2 at least (Ha Ha, 3 prob) It can be
scanned and made available at a magazine quality image, or simply at screen
(thus Internet) quality, it can also be incorporated in simple reports.
One issue is that the depth of focus if you have a very 3 D image it can be
a problem. But a bunch of keys is a good example. Absolutly smashing,
pardon the pun.

If you have the graphic image and can cope with the scale issue, then this
is an interesting way of coping with large quantities of data.

Would be interested to hear from others with experience in this area to
swap ideas or anyone who wants simple tips.
Byeee

Jeremy Green
Department of Maritime Archaeology
Western Australian Maritime Museum