HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 19:31:03 EDT
Bob,

Me thinks you doth protesteth too much. In 20-years, you will be hard
pressed to find a computer or reading machine that will accept your cute little
camera chip because it will be as obsolete as a dinosaur. But people can always
read paper. And yes, while I do have a Nikon 100 with an 8 meg chip for my
field  work, I also have a set of old fashioned black & white photos printed with
 silver-based chemicals on acid-free paper, sleeved in mylar and placed in
acid-free boxes, housed underground in a concrete bunker that is 10-inches
thick, steel-reinforced, concrete and sealed with 2-ply epoxy paint with HVAC
machinery to keep the temperature to 55 degrees and 60% humidity and steel
security doors that are checked by federal security officers four times an hour
at irregular checks. Last year, Tom King informed us that the Japanese have
made  a CD on glass that should last a century. But I worry there will be no
machines  to read our digital images in the future.

Oh, and I also have a Kodak digital camera about the size of a deck of  cards
that doubles as a video camera. I am keeping my Kodak stock because it is
earning money. But, alas, I do not have a 501K retirement system, being that I
am a poor retired public servant.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.