HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"(Mike Polk)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 20:03:50 EDT
I just picked up a book that I thought would be useful to share with people
here.  Its called:

Encyclopedia of American Farm Implements & Antiques, by C. H. Wendel,
Krause Publications, Iola, Wisconsin.  1997.  It sells for $24.95, paperbound.

It is a most comprehensive book covering an incredible array of historical
farm implements and other related items including saw mills, cement mixers,
wagons and carriages, bob sleds and sleighs, bee hives, windmills and a
thousand other things.  It includes 2,000 photos and illustrations of these
implements and machinery collected by the author from farm machery literature
over a 30 year period.  Many of the items are dated and considerable
information is included (though brief) on companies, mergers and closings.

We run across historic implements that we find difficult to identify on a
regular basis.  This book appears that it will be something of a help in that
regard.

Mike Polk
Sagebrush Consultants, L.L.C.
Ogden, Utah