HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Hylkema <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2013 14:36:19 -0700
Help, I have four of these unfired clay bowl-like objects with deliberate
openings in the base. http://www.flickr.com/photos/20752981@N05/9676103754/.

They remind me of hoppar mortars, but they are too unconsolidated to be
pounding in them. The context is California Mission era, roughly
1780-1820's for the particular site we're at. All four were located in
separate pit features adjacent to each other. We're in some sort of
industrial complex within the mission Rancheria, or Native American
village. The circular pits that these things are resting in are roughly 3'
in diameter and range from 4-8' deep. We are thinking that they are some
sort of funnel for grain or lime slaking?? There is no evidence that they
were lined with anything, and they do not show any sign of burning. They
are not fired, therefore can't be used for anything liquid. A variety of
domestic and native fauna, Spanish Colonial metal objects and indigenous
bone tools and shell beads are found within the matrix filling the pits,
but not within the bowls themselves.

ANY help would be appreciated; more info or pics available if needed.
Excavator's feet for scale. These things weigh about 50lbs apiece.

--
Linda Hylkema
Cultural Resources Manager