HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jim Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 1997 07:25:14 -0700
To all:

I am putting this to the entire list since I believe it may be of general
interest. Otherwise I would have replied directly to the author of the
original request. I also hope the Georgia SHPO does a little investigation.

In Georgia at a farm  that was called Beaver Dam, near Athens and Comer,
I remember seeing and visiting  large brick barns , there were three as
I remember, with many shackles, at least 100, bolted to the walls, both
interior and exterior walls. I visited this place and marveled at the History
and Architecture many times , in the 40's, 50's, and 60's, until I left
the area to join the service. I lived  and worked just down the road, a
dirt one I might add.   Our place was not quite so grand. The place of
my youth  and Beaver Dam were eventually sold to carpetbaggers.  The  Beaver
Dam farm is , was, presently owned by the singer Kenny Rogers. I have not
been there in years but an inquiry may be worth the effort. Of course the
farm looks nothing like it did during its days as a 19th century place,
or as it was when it was a working farm. Mr. Rogers has it turned in to
some shallow excuse for a farm. It even has a personal golf course.  But
I believe at least one of the barns is still there.  The original house,
albeit modified by Rogers, may still be present. This was one missed by
Sherman. You are correct, the WAR is not over. In fact my Grandparents
spoke of the War , Beaver Dam, and other things as if it were yesterday.
To them it was only yesterday and Sherman was a dirty word. My Great Grand
parents fought in the War and my Grandparents grew up during the aftermath.
So is easy to understand their dislike of Carpetbaggers, Sherman, and a
few other items.

I would like to emphasize that there are many stories about the shackles
at Beaver Dam and their uses. Their uses were said to be from slavery days,
 Civil War prisoners, to relatively modern chain gangs,  to attitude adjustments
for carpetbaggers. All of which may be true.  I would caution anyone studying
the existence of shackles to not automatically assume slave uses.

All this aside I believe Beaver Dam would provide an excellent opportunity
for Both Historic and Prehistoric archaeology. If I were closer I would
do it myself.

If the Georgia SHPO would like I will be happy to tell them exactly where
this place is should they not already know. I will provide them with local
contacts as well.

Jim Chase