HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
david galletti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 18:33:15 +0100
Surely a distinctive Nazi symbol is the last thing a 5th columnist is going ot
want to have plastered on a piece of personal equipment-
it must be fairly easy to find out what kind of transmitters German spies were
 quipped with- for example those parachuted and quickly captured in the UK

>===== Original Message From HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]> =====
>Bob,
>
>I am sure you feel the radio was a war souvenir, but the property is only a
>short distance from sensitive U.S. Navy and U.S. Army bases and was within
>view of 65 reported foreign submarine sightings during World War II. The man
>who lived in the house lived there during World War II and did not serve in
>the military. I lived a block away during the 1950s. Sure, the radio and
>antennae were circumstantial. So were the stack of 1945 newspapers used to
>completely cover and surround the radio under the house. It was the
>newspapers that led me to believe the man hid them when the war ended. Why
>would a soldier bring a large German radio back from the war and hide it
>under his house within months of the end of the war in Europe? War souveniers
>were kept around the house for years as conversation pieces and traded, sold
>and swapped among veterans. Personally, I think this is an important artifact
>with important historic context.
>
>Ron May
>Legacy 106, Inc.

Totalise - the Users ISP
To become a member and a shareholder
visit http://www.totalise.net

The Totalise Email system, probably the most flexible email system in the
world. To register for an account goto http://www.totalise.net