HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Boyer, Jeffrey, DCA" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:14:39 -0600

Seems to me that evidence for variation in patterns in the archaeological record may be pointing toward (if not directly at) sociocultural tolerance.  For instance, in a non-historical archaeological example, the orientations of prehistoric puebloan pit structures in the Four Corners region of the Southwest are considerably, and consistently, different than those of prehistoric puebloan pit structures in the northern Rio Grande Valley.  Now, there is certainly some variation on both samples (not all in the former group are oriented strictly north-south and not all in the latter group are oriented strictly northwest-southeast), but the variation within sample groups is, overall, smaller than the variation between them.  So, there is a tolerance level for pit structure orientation that differs between regions, and that allows for variation within regions.  In turn, the patterns may be interpreted in terms of world-views and ethnicity, which is where the questions get interesting.  What was or was not acceptable in structural orientation, what is that telling us about how important structural orientation was to those folks, and how do we relate that information to stable and changing sociocultural conditions?
Seems to me, then, that recognizing "tolerance" in the archaeological record requires a larger-than-one-site perspective.  If "tolerance" (in structural orientation or human rights) is a cultural construct and not "merely" an individual concept, it must leave patterns in human behavior.  If those patterns are expressed materially, they may be(though not assuredly will be) archaeologically visible.  Using Steen's example of slavery, can we not say that 18th and early 19th century America was "tolerant" of this practice because we have, aside from a plethora of documentary evidence, archaeological evidence of the practice as well?  Within that large pattern, can we discern "smaller" patterns that may suggest the degrees to which certain groups of people were more or less tolerant of the practice (taking into account archaeological evidence for, for instance, the economic standing(s) of those people at any given point in time, or through time)?  Is the archaeological evidence for the presence of slaves the same in urban settings as it is in rural settings (since it wasn't only the plantation owners who owned slaves)?
The issue, clearly, is how, in particular settings (and in more general temporal and spatial settings), a cultural construct produces patterned behavior(s) and, in turn, how (or if) that(ose) behavior(s) produce(s) patterns in material evidence.  In New Mexico, slavery as practiced by "Spanish" Euroamericans differed considerably from that practiced by citizens of the United States during the same time periods, and the ways in which slaves were obtained, acculturated, and utilized (to put it pretty clinically) were correspondingly different.  We should, therefore, expect to see different manifestations of the practice, in behavior and materially (if the latter is visible at all).
Hmmm . . . I need to look for Geertz' paper.
Jeff Boyer

Jeffrey L. Boyer
Office of Archaeological Studies
P.O. Box 2087