HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 11:12:19 -0400
Your question may have been satisfied by some of the responses you have
received, but it is not true to say that Polaris occupies the same position
with respect to the celestial north pole that it has for millenia.
Equinoctial precession keeps this relationship in  flux.  Just 300-400
years ago, for instance, Polaris was more distant from the celestial north
pole than at present which created immense problems for navigators.  Around
1560, for instance, the CNP was about 3-plus degrees from Polaris.  Now, it
is under a degree, I believe.  So, in 1864, Polaris was measurably more
distant from the CNP than today.  Also, since you're NPS.GOV, you could
also send your query to the US Naval Observatory in Wash, DC--they're on
the net.  Robert Hicks