HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
SouthArc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 14:06:12 -0400
While as a SOPA member I have reservations about the need for the proposed
ROPA organization, Jay Stottman raised some points about qualifications for
membership in SOPA which should probably be addressed by someone on the
current membership committee. However, my own experience is that although
the membership requirements were recently changed to eliminate
qualifications by specialities (i.e. historic archaeology, documents
research, etc.), the requirements are still fairly stringent and specific in
terms of demonstration of training, experience and research capability.
It's more than just having an advanced degree.  And for those of us who
became members under the previous specialities qualifications, it was even
tougher to be certified in a specialty--it was far more than just peripheral
involvement with a historic site--you had to demonstrate field, lab,
research and documentation experience in terms of specific periods of time
and levels of documentation (like a thesis or dissertation).  And yes, I
know people who are members whose qualifications I question--but cracks
exist everywhere, no matter how good the system.  In my opinion, any
certification system is better than nothing--at least it is a step towards
being able to identify qualified, reputable people for research projects.

                                                L. Wayne