HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Doreen Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 09:16:40 -0400
Most people in a "professional" occupation (one that requires specialized or
advanced schooling) such as architects, engineers, doctors or lawyers must take
a test before they are let loose upon an unsuspecting world.  Scientists,
historians and English teachers only need to present their academic credentials
and find someone willing to hire them.  And although the U.S. Dept. of the
Interior has lovely, new standards for people in the social science world, the
truth is they don't always filter down to the personnel offices doing the
hiring.  As archeologists we feel that what we do is important, and that the end
products of our work should meet certain criteria.  Ergo some of us have been
willing to submit to a voluntary method of professional regulation.  Turning a
voluntary system into a mandatory system is not always a pretty thing.  For what
it is worth, I feel that if non-archeologists are ever going to respect our
work, some kind of accreditation process is necessary.  With teeth in it.  We
must recognize, however, that even the AMA, ABA and all those other professional
accreditation societies do not police their profession perfectly, otherwise
there would be no malpractice lawsuits.  People who perform at a lower level of
competency do, and will, slip through.  But I think ROPA is a good first,
perhaps a baby, step.  We need to envision the future, and our present system is
very uneven.

But the point that the non-U.S. archeologists are making is a valid one -- other
countries have their own systems.  Perhaps non-U.S. Society members should not
be forced to participate in this system unless they teach or work in the U.S.

Since this issue is now on the front burner, I hope the SHA will find a way to
communicate the results quickly rather than wait for a very slow newsletter to
announce them.  And they need to consider that lots of members are not on
e-mail.  I will also be interested in their reporting what percentage of the
membership turned in ballots, along with the results of that balloting.

That seems to be more than my two cents worth.  Should be an interesting vote!

Doreen Cooper
Klondike Gold Rush NHP
Skagway, Alaska