Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2012 17:41:06 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (45 lines)
I haven't seen anything other than that section you've quoted from the NYT article, but whether or not they've pulled the Diggers show, their expressed interest in taking the time to coordinate with professional archaeologists and take their input seriously is a huge positive step, IMHO. On the other hand, I have to wonder if their real incentive for pulling the show, either permanently or temporarily, and for expressing interest in more feedback from the professional community might have anything to do with the fact that they apparently "unknowingly" broadcast illegal activity in their premier episode (i.e., metal detecting and recovery from a NRHP-listed historic site...19th-century jail...that is currently on state-owned land), and they believe they might be in some legal hotwater (whether there are actually any "teeth" to possible enforcement or not).

JBJ

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Miller, Sarah E.
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 1:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: question- is Diggers no more?

Question- I've seen forwarded a few times today a letter stating National Geographic Channel will no longer be airing "Diggers."  I have yet to see an official post from NatGeo (association seems wiped clean from Google memory), but if true, it's a great day for preservation of historic sites and just a tremendous demonstration of public involvement for Historical Archaeology.  If you have official confirmation I can share with the public, please contact me off post...I have a lot of local residents & visitors to thank by way of sharing the good news.

Only source I've seen was the NYTime article on the Spike show, that NatGeo issued a statement:

The National Geographic Channel, meanwhile, was more measured about "Diggers," which started on Feb. 28.
In response to a letter from Elizabeth Bartman, the president of the Archaeological Institute of America, which accused the show of encouraging looting and destruction, the cable channel said it had met with representatives of professional archaeological groups.

"As a result of those conversations," it said in a statement, "we are now in the process of organizing a more in-depth set of meetings to explore how we might take more direct advantage of the archaeology community's insights and expertise with programs of this type."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/21/arts/television/spikes-american-digger-draws-concern-from-scholars.html?_r=1

Sarah E. Miller
Director/Public Archaeologist
Northeast Regional Center
Florida Public Archaeology Network

Flagler College
P.O. Box 1027
74 King Street
St. Augustine, FL

work:  904-819-6476
fax: 904-819-6499

www.flpublicarchaeology.org
Follow us on Twitter for latest area updates FPANnortheast Join us on Facebook FPANnortheast

This email contains CONFIDENTIAL information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify us by reply email and delete this email from your records. Furthermore, the contents of this email do not necessarily represent official policy of Flagler College.

ATOM RSS1 RSS2