HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Jones, Joseph B" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2012 17:41:06 +0000
I haven't seen anything other than that section you've quoted from the NYT article, but whether or not they've pulled the Diggers show, their expressed interest in taking the time to coordinate with professional archaeologists and take their input seriously is a huge positive step, IMHO. On the other hand, I have to wonder if their real incentive for pulling the show, either permanently or temporarily, and for expressing interest in more feedback from the professional community might have anything to do with the fact that they apparently "unknowingly" broadcast illegal activity in their premier episode (i.e., metal detecting and recovery from a NRHP-listed historic site...19th-century jail...that is currently on state-owned land), and they believe they might be in some legal hotwater (whether there are actually any "teeth" to possible enforcement or not).

JBJ