HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David McKivergan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 1994 13:50:31 -0600
In message Thu, 2 Jun 1994 09:33:25 -0700,
  Anita Cohen-Williams <[log in to unmask]>  writes:

> The prehistorians don't seem to realize it, but if things continue, I
>doubt that non-Indians will be permitted to dig prehistoric sites 20 years
>from now.

Well, that's pretty divisive and confrontational.  As one of the
prehistorians, I think that we do realize the changes that are going on
regarding ethnicity, race, and culture vis a vis archaeology, but we also
realize that there are very very few minority, professional archaeologists
practicing in North America (e.g.  only 4 African Americans who are members
of the AAA, I don't know about Native American archaeologists although I
have encountered some).  Therefore, if non-Indians are not permitted to
excavate prehistoric sites, then they won't get excavated (and will
continue to be destroyed through development and looting).  An unfortunate
situation to say the least.

David McKivergan, Department of Anthropology, Baldwin Hall,
University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602
(706) 542-3922, Internet:  [log in to unmask]